When selecting a class theme teachers should ensure that it:
- complements syllabus requirements
- complements school requirements
- provides a context that is interesting to students but also provides opportunities for manageable investigations
- enhances teachers' ability to simultaneously address both process and content outcomes
- supports follow-up discussions and explanations e.g. the importance of conserving energy in our modern society
Here is a list of suggested teaching themes that are broad enough to accommodate a wide range of student interest areas and to address most school teaching programs.
Suggested Class Themes
|waste management||building design||building materials||water|
|re-cycling and re-using||climate change||renewable energy sources||natural disasters|
|materials as heat conductors/insulators||collaboration and exchange of ideas||packaging||transport systems|
Further information on the suggested themes can be found in Resources.