The Australia Awards aim to promote knowledge, education links and enduring ties between Australia and it’s neighbours through scholarship programs.
This initiative will, over time, build a new generation of global leaders with strong links to Australia.
To achieve these aims the Australia Awards will bring together the International Development Awards administrated by the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) and the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations’ (DEEWR) Endeavour Awards under a single recognisable brand called the Australia Awards.
Australia Awards – AusAID Development Scholarships
Development awards administered by AusAID have been an important component of the Australian Government’s overseas aid program since the 1950s, supporting its aim to help developing countries to reduce poverty and achieve sustainable development.
The overarching goals of Australia's development awards are:
- to develop capacity and leadership skills so that individuals can contribute to development in their home country
- to build people-to-people linkages at the individual, institutional and country levels.
Development awards provide opportunities for long and short term study and professional development. Long term awards include Australian Development Scholarships (ADS), Australian Leadership Award Scholarships (ALA Scholarships) for high achieving applicants and Australian Regional Development Scholarships (ARDS). Short term awards include Australian Leadership Awards Fellowships (ALA Fellowships), the Prime Minister's Pacific-Australia Awards and short courses.
For information on AusAID Development Scholarships
Australia Awards - DEEWR Endeavour Awards
The Endeavour Awards are a part of the Australia Awards initiative which was announced by the Government in November 2009.
The Australian Government is committed to promoting opportunities for more Australians to have an international study experience. The Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) provides support for student mobility and staff visits through the following Programs:
- Endeavour Student Exchange Program (ESEP)
- Australian University Mobility in Asia and the Pacific (UMAP) Student Exchange Program
- Endeavour Cheung Kong Student Exchange Program (ECKSEP); and
- Other Endeavour student mobility programs that may be available from time to time
These Programs aim to:
- increase cooperation between higher education institutions in Australia and higher education institutions in eligible exchange countries;
- increase the number of Australian graduates with international educational experience, and the number of graduates from eligible exchange countries who have had a similar experience in Australia; and
- promote credit transfer arrangements between Australian higher education institutions and eligible higher education institutions overseas with a view to supporting mutual recognition of educational qualifications.
These Programs enable undergraduate Bachelor degree students in all disciplines to undertake at least one Semester and no more than two Semesters of study at an accredited higher education institution in an eligible country.
Guidelines available on the DEEWR Endeavour website: Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships